THE HOUSE

Õhtu-Kallas - the House on the Evening Shore - has a rich history. The house was one of two estates built in Haapsalu by Professor Georg Philipp von Doepp between 1909 and 1911. Doepp was an engineer of the St. Petersburg Metal Works (today LMZ) and professor for steam boilers at the Technical Institute.

 

In the 1920s, Finnish writer Aino Kallas (1878-1956), married to the folklorist, linguist and diplomat Oskar Philipp Kallas, enjoyed spending her summer months in the House on the Evening Shore.

 

A letter to the Haapsalu city government dated in 1930 states that the House on the Evening Shore belonged to the union of post, telegraph and telephone employees and served as a rest home for ill workers. This service was available to the sick at no charge. At the time it was called "Pansion Nordgren".

 

During the Soviet era, the house was used as a war commissariat. Some structural alterations testify to military use in this period, for example the removal of the large windows on the ground floor, which opened the rooms to the sea, and garages for war vehicles. After Estonia regained independence in 1991, the property was returned to its pre-war owner.

Location                          

Property

Base area house               

Rooms                                

Floors                        

Balcony                           

Annex                    

Distance from the sea              

Õhtu-Kallas 15, Haapsalu

2109 m2

230 m2

12

2 and attic

3

brick building used as garages

100 m

© 2017 by Ohtu-Kallas 15. Proudly created with Wix.com

This site was designed with the
.com
website builder. Create your website today.
Start Now